Sunday, August 31, 2008

40 X 40 - #10 Redecorate every room in my house.

I have a plan to redecorate every room in my house. The purpose is so that each offers a unique mood as I write.

It should be no surprise that my room will be the one room in the house that's even remotely romantic. Muted purple walls, lace curtains, wild flowers, and candles. I have two closets in my room, so I don't really need furniture in the room to hold my clothes. So, in addition to the bed and nightstand, I'll set up a sitting area as well.


My living room will have deep, rich colors. Chocolate brown, caramel, and a dark red. This color palette was actually inspired by three ponytail holders. I have paneling in this room, which I intend to paint, and carpeting which I intend to pull up. I have no idea how to address this hideous, stucco ceiling, but I assure you, I'll figure it out.


My bathroom will be the one room in my house that will have a contemporary look and feel. My whole house is small, but my bathroom is especially so. Needless to say, there's not a whole lot I can do with furniture in there. But I do intend to remove the vanity-style sink and replace it with a pedestal sink. The walls will be a muted sage/olive green, fixtures will be pewter, and the accent color will be a shiny black. I'd like to find a way to 'hide' my washer and dryer without using a curtain, though that would be the easiest solution. There's already a curtain for the bathtub and the window...and curtains aren't all that contemporary. So, I'm a little stumped there. Good thing I have two years to figure it out.

My kitchen will reflect wine country. Think Tuscany. Think Olive Garden. Though I do want to avoid the yellowish colors and stick with more of an off-white. It may take me awhile, but I eventually want to replace the appliances with stainless steel versions. The counters will be granite or at least granite-looking. The back splash will be ceramic tile. And there will be a wine rack.

I have a room attached to my kitchen that we currently refer to as the sun room. Mostly because the furniture from my sun room in Greenwood is all sitting in that room, NOT because it gets any sun at all. I'm not exactly sure what to do with that room. It seems a waste to use a room, in addition to the kitchen, for dining. Especially since the house is so small, it might be nice to have another room as a sitting room. But with the two being so open to each other, it's going to have to have much the same look and feel. I'll have to think on this one awhile.

I also intend to stop parking in my carport and use my garage for my car (must replace the remote to the garage door opener). I want to screen in my carport, put down durable, outdoor flooring, and put my sun room furniture out there. That side of my house doesn't get much sun, but I still want to give it a beach look. The colors will be sand, sky blue, and off-white.

Jeff's on his own with his room...unless of course he's moved out. Then I'll attack that room too.

Every room (except the bathroom) will have a place where I can sit for hours and write or read or type. That's another reason I want to set up wireless Internet in my home. If I want to/need to go online to research something, I don't want to have to pick up and move to a network drop (or more accurately, a phone connection). Oh, and only ONE room will have a television.

I intend to start in the living room, simply because we spend so much time there. Second, my room...again, because I spend so much time there. After that, probably the bathroom. But we'll see. I've got two years and two months and two days to figure it out...and get it done.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'd like my home decorated like those pictures too! :)

Speaking of Tuscan kitchens, I picked up a cool light switch plate from Etsy. It has a bronze/copper look with grape bunches and vines etched into it. A fun little touch. :)