Tuesday, August 12, 2008

School Supplies

Today after work, I took Jeff to his drivers' ed course. Then I was off to Wal-Mart to get all the items on his list of needed school supplies. He's already completed his second day of school, but only just today did I get his school supplies.

I asked him over the weekend what he needed in the way of school supplies for his senior year. He answered, and I quote, "Uhhhh, a notebook and a mechanical pencil." I asked him if that was really it. He confirmed, a notebook and a mechanical pencil. Okay, that's what I got him.

Well, yesterday he comes home from school and this is what he needs (wants) now.
  • Health - one blue single-subject college-ruled notebook, one blue folder

  • Composition - one light green 2" 3-ring binder, one light green 3-subject college-ruled notebook, one light-green folder

  • Accounting - one dark green 2" 3-ring binder, one dark green single-subject college-ruled notebook, one calculator

  • Psychology - one orange single-subject college-ruled notebook, one orange folder

  • Spanish - one purple 2" 3-ring binder, one purple 3-subject college-ruled notebook

  • Government - one red single-subject college-ruled notebook, one red folder

  • college-ruled loose-leaf paper and dividers

I'm all, "You've got to be kidding me." When I questioned why he had to have specific colors for each class, he said that he wanted the school supplies to match the colors of his textbooks so that he didn't get them mixed up. I couldn't help but smile. On the inside? I was laughing my head off. It just didn't seem like a boy thing to do. I thought it was hilarious. But I kept my joy to myself as I didn't want to appear to make fun of him. (I thought it would be more appropriate to publish it on the World-Wide Web for ALL to see.)

Well, I actually found a LIGHT green AND a DARK green 2" 3-ring binder. Unfortunately, I was unable to find ANYTHING purple...without Hannah Montana on it. So, I got black instead. Otherwise, I got everything he asked for...in the correct colors, the correct sizes, and the correct number of subjects. Say it with me, fellow Mom's, "I am Mom; I am amazing."

I'll bet he finds something about it that's not just right. : )

He called me today when he got home from school. His first question was, "You busy?" Not "What's for dinner?" or "When are you coming home?". I was pleasantly surprised. I had to admit that I was (busy), but that I'd love to take a few minutes to hear about his day. He told me that he was selected to work in the office during his study hall and HE WAS LOVING IT. He was so darn excited about his duties there.

Then he went on to say that he loves his entire afternoon. And one of those classes is Spanish. I was a little worried about Jeff and his Spanish class; he has a long history trying to get his Spanish credits accomplished. So, I was pretty happy to hear that one. All in all, it was just really nice to hear about his good day, which of course alluded to his positive attitude about the rest of the term. I wish him the best!

4 comments:

Christy said...

You are "THE Mom" =)

The Jeffers Clan said...

Yeah...I'm so glad that school is going so well for him. Keep up the great work Leslie!

Sara said...

Hi! I didn't even know you had this blog! Is Jeff at WC? I forget if he was still going there or not...

Leslie said...

Sara, welcome! Yep, I blog. I've had a few blogs in the last couple of years. But this one and one for Inspirational Emails are the only two that I maintain now. Jeff was only at WC for 8th grade and first semester freshman year, finished freshman year at L'tee, then lived in KY with his dad for two years. He just moved back a couple of years ago and will do his senior year at L'tee. And Sara, he's doing GREAT! I know we haven't kept in touch a lot in the last couple of years. But trust me when I say, that is an AMAZING thing. : )