Saturday, August 23, 2008

It's a God Thing

A few weeks ago, a friend of mine was telling me that he was struggling with some financial issues. I asked him if I could give him money. I couldn't offer thousands, but I could offer hundreds. He said he'd let me know.

Well, I didn't hear from him for a couple of weeks. So, I went about paying my regular bills. And this month, I had additional financial obligations (doctor's appointments, Jeff's book rental/school registration, Jeff's driver's ed, and of course Jeff's Chrysalis). So, I paid all of those.

Yesterday, my friend comes to me and humbly asks to take me up on my offer. I was very moved by his request. He was uncomfortable asking, but it was obvious that he had no where else to go. I told him that I didn't have it, but I quickly added that I could get it. In that same moment, while he was sitting right there, I called my dad and asked for $170. I didn't tell him what it was for and he didn't ask. He just said, 'Sure.'

I could tell that my friend hated that I had to ask someone else for the money. But I assured him that all was good. I would repay my dad within the week and my friend could pay me back whenever...or not at all…I would NOT miss the money. In fact, I told him that the only reason God blesses me financially is to allow me to give it to those in need. And I really only give it away if I have it to give. So, it won't hurt me if I never see that money again.

My friend was very thankful and even felt compelled to tell me what he was doing to remedy his short-term financial hardship. Apparently, he's not sleeping, working extra jobs, and is having stomach issues just thinking about the hole he's in. I could tell that he was miserable about it all. I think that happens to all of us…when we're strapped for funds, we stress ourselves out. Financial stress is the worst.

But I told him that he needs to find a way to have peace in some way. I suggested that he spend a few times every day with his eyes closed and just ask God for ten minutes of peace, time when he wouldn't worry about this issue. Perhaps that would help refresh his mind, body, and soul for what he truly needed to do to more effectively deal with this huge challenge. Then I told him that ultimately God could fix it all for him. He just had to trust Him to handle it.

After work, I stopped by the K of C because that's where my dad works. He handed me a check for $170. I thanked him for helping me help my friend. While I was there, and because I'm a member of the Ladies Auxiliary, I 'signed up'. This entails handing over $1.25 and signing my name to two different notebooks. $1 for the weekly drawing; $0.25 for the daily drawing. Then I left to cash the check and get the money to my friend.

Are you ready for this? Are you sitting down? Are you smiling yet? You will be. : )

My dad called me first thing this morning to tell me that I'd won the weekly drawing at the K of C. I've never won it before, but mostly because I don’t sign up all that often. And the ONLY reason I did this week is because I happened to be there to borrow money from my dad. Guess how much I won…

$180!

So, in only 18 hours, God gave me the money that I gave to my friend. I immediately offered to repay my dad, but he wouldn't take it. He will eventually, but I think he wanted me to enjoy my win. Personally, I couldn't wait to call my friend. I wanted him to know how God takes care of those who love Him, that He is so giving and affirms the right decisions that we make. I also told him that it was like God was repaying my friend's debt to me…not that I was really owed it.

That, my friends, is a God Thing. I knew it right away. And so did my friend. I LOVE how God moves in my life!

2 comments:

Christy said...

WOW!! Praise God!!

The Jeffers Clan said...

"HOLY COW":) That was a God thing. How incredible!