Friday, August 1, 2008

RDO Friday

I work a compressed work week. That means that every Monday through Thursday, I work a nine-hour day. Every other Friday, I work an eight-hour day...and the other Friday's, I AM OFF WORK!

I'm a defense contractor working on a military installation. Everyone knows that the military has to have an acronym for everything. So, my every other Friday off is also known as my RDO. That stands for Regular Day Off.

I LOVE my RDO Friday!

I normally sleep in. Then I pay some bills online. Then I run a few errands. I usually read something, write something, and hang out with Linus Felinus. He loves to sleep during the day, so sometimes our quality time is more of a nap. But hey, we both enjoy it so much, I think it still counts as quality time. I rarely work. I avoid all work...my day job, mowing the lawn, laundry, etc. It's totally a relaxing, in-no-hurry-at-all kind of day.

So today, I should have slept in, but I didn't...which was unfortunate since I didn't get to sleep until about 4am. (I have really been having trouble with falling asleep this week.) Anyway, I did some secretarial stuff for my dad, ran some errands, paid some bills. I'm the canter at mass tomorrow night, so I met with the organist to practice. I did lunch with Jeff and his best friend. Then I wrote a resume for a friend. (It's pretty good, if I do say so myself.) All in all, a fairly productive day. One of those days where I get to bop in and out of all those places I need to go, with a bounce in my step, and my favorite songs blaring on the radio.

This evening, I had two more stops to make. I went to the gym for an hour. During the entire stay, I was the only person there. It was kind of nice having the whole place to myself. Then I went to Wal-Mart, where there were literally hundreds of people. Our society in microcosm. Ironically, at Wal-Mart, I ran into Jeff. I'm grabbing a beverage on my way through the check-out and I see Jeff coming right up to me with his arms opened wide. We hugged...right there in Wal-Mart. (I am REALLY enjoying this new Jeff.)

Now I'm watching "Definitely, Maybe". Different than I expected, but good I think. It's a chick-flick and I'm enjoying sitting in my living room watching a chick-flick that I picked out just for myself...while typing up my mundane, little blog entry for the day. Another lovely RDO Friday.

Before I forget...I woke up this morning with a scratchy throat. This is the second time in six months that I've been scheduled to canter at mass and my voice is not even close to 100%? (I have a previous blog entry about how horrible I sounded at Easter.) I guess it doesn't happen EVERY time. But twice in six months is twice too often for me. So, I'm already taking meds in hopes that it doesn't get any worse between now and 6pm tomorrow.

One more thing...I got an email from my boss today. Being that it was my RDO, one would think that I wouldn't have even known that my boss was trying to get in touch with me. But no, I have a BlackBerry for just such an event. So, my boss asks me if I've finished this document that I do every month. Uhhh, no. So, I'm working 4-5 hours tomorrow in order to have it done by noon Monday. I'm hoping to finish it tomorrow instead of relying on Monday morning. It's just so difficult to focus on this one task while sitting at my desk when my phone rings off the hook and emails pour in from my customers and people stop by my desk for various reasons. So, I'll go into work tomorrow...by myself...and be hella productive.

Kinda puts a damper on my three-day weekend. But it does NOTHING to ruin my RDO Friday. And the idea of getting to work on this document without interruption is kind of appealing. I figure, it's all good. (One of my favorites - James 1:2-3.) It's ALL good.

No comments: