Friday, March 27, 2009

I love working for SAIC.


On Feb 3, 2009, SAIC turned 40 years old. Just a few weeks after that, we hit $10 billion in revenue. I have been an SAIC employee for exactly four years.


I work for the IT & Data Services Division (Crane)
of the Warfare Systems & Integrated Solutions Operation (Bloomfield)
of the Defense & Maritime Solutions Business Unit (McLean, VA)
of the Defense Solutions Group (McLean, VA)
of the Technology Services Company
of SAIC.

I had to look that up. I wouldn't have been able to just kick that off the top of my head. When people ask, I tell them that I'm a defense contractor, working for SAIC and supporting the Navy at Crane.

I love being an SAIC employee. I make good money. I have great benefits. And I really enjoy my job. In fact, my government branch manager mentioned to me earlier this week that there was a Financial Systems Analyst government position posted on Crane's website that was open to the public, if I wanted to apply for it. I asked her if it was in our department. (I just moved into her department three months ago. So, either she's looking to get rid of me or she's impressed with my work. I hope it's the latter.) She said that the position was NOT in our department. I politely explained to her that I'm perfectly happy being an SAIC contractor and would rather stay in a happy environment where I enjoy my work...than move simply to be a government employee.

And I meant it.

Today was my Friday off. I work an extra hour most days just to have every other Friday off. But even though I was off today, I headed to the Crane Tech Park to attend a town hall meeting where our group president was speaking. Her name is Deb Alderson. She and our business unit president flew in from McLean, VA last night. I was very impressed not only by what she had to say, but also in her manner of presenting it.

She reminded us that in our last fiscal year, we won every contract that we re-competed. EVERY ONE. In the last eight years, we've gone from just over 100 employees to over 1,000. In the last year, we've increased our numbers, both in number of people and in dollars earned. In fact, our operation raised the numbers for our business unit.
She told us that she was genuinely impressed that we were thriving in this current economy, but also proud. Who would have thought that our little Crane operation would have such a dramatic impact on SAIC managers at corporate. Pretty cool, huh?

Just as impressive, she personally greeted everyone that attended the reception before her presentation. She remembered the name of every person that asked her a question. And she spoke, in specifics... numbers, names of people and projects, etc... for nearly an hour without any notes.

I truly enjoyed her visit and her presentation. And I'm even more proud to be working for this company.

1 comment:

Christy said...

It's so nice to have that pride in your work. I wish I could say the same!!! Love Ya Girl =)