Sunday, March 8, 2009

I'm sensing a theme.

At the ladies' retreat I attended yesterday, the lady providing the music told us a story about relatives who were in an auto accident, flipping their van, and how they could so easily have lost their lives. At the end of the story, she said that she apologized to God for prioritizing unimportant things. She warned us that no one knows when their life could be over and we need to focus on what's important.

This morning at mass, Father Walker was telling us about his first cousin in California who was 51, had no history of heart issues, but died of a massive coronary this past week. He reminded us that there is often no sign that our lives could be over and that we need to have our hearts in the right place.

I got home from mass and checked my email. I got 'an urgent message' from my friend Tracy. She referenced the scripture about the virgins being prepared by bringing extra oil for their lamps as they waited for the bridegroom and those who ran out of oil weren't granted admittance. She then included a message from David Wilkerson where he felt "compelled by the holy spirit" to "unburden his soul". His message was that we are not in a recession or even a depression; we are under God's wrath.

Okay, this last message (a warning of the end times) was a little different than the first two (not knowing the hour when an individual could pass on). But I think the message is similar. We need to prepare our souls for the day that we face our Lord.

And then on my MSN homepage, the quote of the day is this...
"We have reached an important point when the end begins to come into view."
- William Childs Westmoreland

I think I have work to do.

1 comment:

Beth said...

Isn't that a good way to live your life? Always knowing you are doing your best to love and be loved.

Thanks for the thoughts!
(visiting from SITS)