Tuesday, March 24, 2009

What?!

Today on my way to work, I was listening to Thy Word Network. One of the news bites stated that the University of Notre Dame is awarding President Barack Obama an honorary Doctorate and has asked him to be their commencement speaker.

What?!

The last time I checked, Notre Dame was a Catholic institution. And I checked TODAY. Now, I admit that I don't know everything there is to know about Catholic Doctrine, but I've been a Catholic my whole life and there are a few things that I know for sure.

The Catholic church teaches that life is to be created and taken away by God alone, that life is precious and is to be protected.

On the opposite end of the that spectrum, President Obama is a staunch supporter of abortion at any stage of pregnancy.

I realize that's only one issue. But as far as the Church is concerned, it's a pretty big one...maybe the biggest one.

So for me, that begs the question, why on earth would a Catholic university reward President Obama with an honorary degree and ask him to speak to their newest graduating class? Surely there are other qualified candidates that also happen to be more in line with our most basic, fundamental teachings?


No comments: