Thursday, June 4, 2009

Guitar Hero

Sticking with the Heroes theme, I thought I'd go in another direction. Guitar Hero. Again, I have no experience with this. I have never played the game. I've never even held that little guitar. But that doesn't mean I don't have a cute story about it.
Jeff came home one morning after spending the night with friends. He was telling me that they played Guitar Hero for like 12 hours. He was all excited because he was getting pretty good at it. In fact, he was able to play some really difficult song when no one else at the party could. He was fairly proud of himself.

Knowing very little about the game, but wanting to maintain my half of the conversation, I said, "Jeff, that's kinda cool that you're learning how to play the guitar."

He looked at me like I was from Mars and said, "Mom, you don't have to be able to actually PLAY the guitar to play the game. You just have to be able to move your fingers fast when the game tells you to."

I thought about this for a moment.

Then I came back with, "So, why is it that you expect me to believe that just because you can win those racing games, you have proven that you're a good driver. Yet playing Guitar Hero well doesn't mean you can play the guitar at all?"

He came up with some lame argument about how it wasn't the same thing. But I think my long-time assumptions had just been proven... Playing a video game about something does NOT necessarily prepare you to adequately (and responsibly) perform that action in real life.

No comments: