Sunday, June 7, 2009

Relay for Life 2009

Another year, another Relay.

Our final total came in at $56,800 something. I'll just round up to $57K. For a county of our size and population, that.is.great! Unfortunately, it fell short of our goal...by around $10K. Still, we're calling it a success.

We had GORGEOUS weather during the daytime hours. And the nighttime wasn't too bad. But it did get a little chilly and it was REALLY damp. All in all though, everyone survived just fine.

This is my last year as captain of Team #4. Next year, I'm joining the Committee. Whereas the team captains are responsible for guiding their teams, the Committee guides the team captains and organizes the event. I will be handling 'media', primarily writing articles for the local papers about what we're up to. So, I'll still be supporting Relay in a big way, but I'll also get to tap into my love of writing and share it with the community. I'm pretty excited about that!

During the 'Fight Back' ceremony, we learned that based on recent averages, 59 new cancer diagnoses could occur in the next year...in Martin County alone. 59! That's like everyone on the street that I live on. Or 3/4 of Jeff's graduating class. 59 people in our one county is HUGE.

So, we all were challenged to save a life. Knowing what we know about what causes the various types of cancer, we were asked to name just one thing that we would do for ourselves or someone we loved that could significantly reduce the likelihood of a cancer diagnosis. I chose two: to do whatever I could to get Jeff to stop smoking and to get more physically active and lose some of this weight.

So, what are you going to do?

No comments: