Wednesday, June 10, 2009

"Hero" by Don Bendell


I feel like I'm an ordinary guy
They treat me strange, so tell me why.
I always try to do what's right.
That doesn't mean I don't feel fright.


I do feel fear. I do get scared.
That time was just because I cared.
I might get hurt or maybe die,
But I can't just sit idly by.


Why do they all say I'm so brave?
That situation simply was real grave.
I'm sure that others would do like me.
But not so folks would jump with glee.


Then shake my hand and slap my back,
And tell me that I have a knack
To be a hero and make them proud
And say a word to the grateful crowd.


For I believe that fear is strong.
But I cannot do what is wrong.
I simply just do what I can.
I'm not a hero, just a man.


So please do not treat me so kind.
It's something that still blows my mind.
Instead, be heroes one and all.
Let's teach our children to stand tall.


- Don Bendell


Don Bendell is a veteran of the United States Army Special Forces and served on an A-Team in Vietnam. He is the author of 20 books, including SNAKE EATER and three other autobiographical Vietnam War books as well as the popular COLT series of Western novels. He is a 7th degree black belt in four different martial arts and in 1995, he was inducted to the International Karate Hall of Fame. He makes his home in Canon City, CO.

No comments: