Monday, June 1, 2009

Heroes

Okay, I know I really slacked on my blogging in May. I blogged every day in February, March, and April...and only ? Many days in May. It turned out to be a busy, busy month for me. But I'm going to redeem myself in June. NaBloPoMo, here I come!

Speaking of NaBloPoMo... they give us a topic to write about every month. It's not a required topic, just a suggestion. The topic this month is HEROES. I like that topic, so I'm going to touch on it some this month. First, I thought I'd define it.

According to Dictionary.com...

HERO
1. a man of distinguished courage or ability, admired for his brave deeds and noble qualities. [I'm going to take for granted that they're using "man" as the general term for person. I can't believe that the first definition of the word, meaning the most prominent one, would pertain only to the male portion of the population.]

2. a person who, in the opinion of others, has heroic qualities or has performed a heroic act and is regarded as a model or ideal: He was a local hero when he saved the drowning child. [Don't you hate it when they use a form of the word in its own definition? I hate that. I mean really, you have a whole dictionary full of words. Couldn't you find something else to say?]

3. the principal male character in a story, play, film, etc.

4. in Classical Mythology.
a. a being of godlike prowess and beneficence who often came to be honored as a divinity.
b. (in the Homeric period) a warrior-chieftain of special strength, courage, or ability.
c. (in later antiquity) an immortal being; demigod.

5. hero sandwich. [They did it again! This SHOULD say (if my name was Webster), "a sandwich, made with a small loaf of bread, having various meats, cheeses, lettuce, and tomatoes". But they didn't ask me.]

6. the bread or roll used in making a hero sandwich. [hmmm, who knew?]

More on heroes tomorrow.

No comments: