Thursday, April 9, 2009

Eucharistic Adoration

After an especially busy, mentally exhausting week, I was truly looking forward to this three-day weekend. But this isn't just my average three-day weekend that comes every other weekend. This is RESURRECTION WEEK! Today is Holy Thursday.

I love it when I get the opportunity to go to mass after work. My current job isn't nearly as stressful as my previous position. So, in my last job, I felt the need to go to mass after work regularly. Now, I simply enjoy the practice. It's just so peaceful and centering. And being that it's Holy Thursday, I was able to go to mass this evening. It was very nice...and quite a crowd considering it was a Thursday.

After mass... actually there is no 'end' to Holy Thursday mass... it simply continues on to the Good Friday service... but at the end of tonight's service, the Eucharist was left on the altar in a monstrance for adoration. We call this Eucharistic Adoration. Our church does it fairly regularly on Thursdays. Some churches do it 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. We call that Perpetual Adoration.

I got much of the following from
Wikipedia, which isn't really an authoritative source being that it's written by the you's and me's of the world. But it's written in layman's terms, so I'm going with it.

Adoration is a sign of devotion to and worship of Jesus Christ, who is believed by many Christians to be present Body, Blood, Soul, and Divinity, under the appearance of the consecrated host, represented by hosts or bread.

In the Roman Catholic tradition, at the moment of Consecration (solemn or sacred dedication) the elements (or "gifts" as they are normally termed for liturgical purposes) are transformed (via Transubstantiation) into the actual Body and Blood of Christ. Catholic doctrine holds that the elements are not only spiritually transformed, but rather are actually (substantially) transformed into the Body and Blood of Christ. It is held that although the elements retain the appearance of bread and wine, they are indeed the actual Body, Blood, Soul, and Divinity of Christ.

This is one form of the doctrine of Real Presence—the actual, substantive presence of Jesus in the Eucharist. Because Roman Catholics believe that Christ is truly present (Body, Blood, Soul and Divinity) in the Eucharist, the reserved sacrament serves as a focal point of adoration. This is also the reason that some Catholics, when passing a Catholic church, will do the Sign of the Cross out of respect for Christ physically present in that church.

During the mass, after the consecration, Catholics receive Holy Communion orally. Adoration is normally a separate event. It is not meant to take away from Communion, but to enhance one's relationship with Christ. It is a reminder that Christ is present in our world and is to be adored.

The host is displayed in a monstrance (vessel used to house the Blessed Sacrament, elaborate in design, often shaped like a sunburst with a cross at the top, made of a precious metal), typically placed on an altar. The Blessed Sacrament may not actually be exposed, but left in a ciborium (closed case for protection), which is likewise placed on an altar.

So tonight, after mass... and after dinner and after Jeff left to hang out with his friends... I went back to church to spend time with our Lord. I enjoyed it at least as much as I enjoyed mass with my family.

I took my bible. I was fascinated that the last chapter of Exodus that I read (several months ago!) was the same as tonight's first reading at mass... the story of the Passover. So, I re-read that chapter and read several more. A few people were there in silent prayer. A few people, including some of our youth, were praying the Rosary (devotional, meditative prayer using a strand of beads by the same name).

It was very nice. Like I said, peaceful and centering.

Holy Thursday. The day of the Last Supper, the washing of the feet, and Eucharistic Adoration at my church. Looking forward to what Good Friday has to offer.

My favorite verse that I read tonight:
Exodus 14:14 - God will fight the battle for you; all you need to do is be still.

2 comments:

Nanny Goats In Panties said...

Your cartoon at the top totally cracked me up! You were the commenter before me on SITS today, so I'm stopping by to say hello!

Ann On and On... said...

Jumped over from SITS....

I was reading through your blog and enjoying your American Idol song, good choice. Then I saw your post on House....I am so glad to know that I wasn't the only one sitting there with my mouth open...clueless.

Come on over to my blog, I have a super cute Monogram Bag giveaway going on!