Friday, April 3, 2009

Trend Analysis

I had a training session today...

...with the Comptroller! He's a big darn deal, yet he took the time to teach me something new. It was a little intimidating...and kind of exciting. I felt... necessary.

Apparently, he loves to take several data points and extrapolate a trend. Then he (or others) can analyze the trend to make the hard decisions. But in his position, he doesn't really have time to do that as much as he'd like. So, he's teaching me to do it.

I don't know that I'll always recognize an opportunity for trend analysis. But when others do, they'll be able to let me know, so that I can generate the long-term data and graphs, without a whole lot of hand-holding. Bottom line (no pun intended), I find it really interesting AND not all that difficult to accomplish. So, I'm enjoying it. AND I'm enjoying having another way to be useful.

I also think it's kinda cool that I was trained by the Controller himself!

No comments: