Saturday, April 11, 2009

Sorry, we're closed.

Okay, I know it's Holy Week and I'm supposed to be basking in gratitude and amazement that Christ died for me and rose again. And I am! But today, I need to vent, just a little bit.

Much like yesterday, I had several errands to run. I stopped by the Post Office to check my mail, purchase stamps, and mail out another 40 Relay for Life donation request letters. I stopped by the Credit Union to pick up cash for the weekend. I stopped by the BMV to renew my license plates.

Note, these three establishments are not known for having the most convenient hours for a working single mother. But I touched base with all three, accomplishing exactly what I needed to accomplish.

There is one other establishment in town that has inconvenient operating hours for someone in my situation. The library. Barring taking time off work, I have until 8pm Monday, three hours every Saturday, and five hours every other Friday to visit our local library.

Today, I made plans to meet with the members of my Relay for Life team at the library. I was going to be there from 10-12, sitting at the big, round table, filling out receipts and writing thank you's to my friends and family who'd already sent donations. My team members were going to stop at their leisure during those two hours
to drop off any donations they've received and to sign their registration forms.

But our library, which is only opened 31 hours a week (most of those between noon and 5pm M-F) was closed today (AND yesterday). So instead of being INSIDE the library at the big, round table, taking care of a couple/few things while waiting for my team members, I sat in my car in their parking lot, reading a book and asking my team to sign their registration forms on the hood of my Grand Prix.

At the same time, I saw at least ten different people stop by the library to attempt to enjoy their Saturday morning there...and then turn around, get back in their cars, and drive away.

Post Office... check!
Credit Union... check!
BMV for heaven's sake!... check!
Library... not so much.

1 comment:

Beth said...

Those libraries have some nerve! :p

Hope you had a most blessed Easter. :)