Monday, April 6, 2009

Online Memorial for a TV Character?

In the first five minutes of House tonight, one of the main characters, Lawrence Kutner, was found dead in his apartment, apparent self-inflicted gunshot wound to the temple. No one knows why and no one saw it coming... as far as we know.

I was pretty much in shock for the entire episode. I just couldn't believe it. I mean, we expect them to lose a patient every once in awhile. But a team member? Without any warning?! Talk about the best-kept secret in Hollywood. People have been talking about Izzy and George possibly leaving Grey's Anatomy for a month. But I hadn't even heard a whisper about no more Kutner.

At the end of the show, Fox took the opportunity to advertise NAMI - National Alliance on Mental Illness.

And THEN they posted the URL for an
online memorial for Dr. Lawrence Kutner. Now THAT scared me a little. I actually thought the actor, not just the character, was dead. Freaked me out just a little bit.

Does anyone else think it's a little strange to have an online memorial for a television character? I mean really, I will miss the character. But it's not like he's a real person. He's a character. It's fiction. Fic.Tion.

What would be really sad is if this actually killed the SHOW. But I don't think that's likely to happen.

Oh, well... RIP Lawrence Kutner. Good luck and many successes to Kal Penn. Okay House, whacha got for us next?

No comments: