Thursday, April 16, 2009

RIP Emerson

I have this little television with an attached VCR that I got for Jeff several years ago. He used it to play video games mostly. When he moved to his dad's a few years ago, I moved the TV into my room. I used that little TV nearly every night.

No, not to play video games! To watch my old VHS tapes.

I live across the street from our local high school. I have for nearly seven years. In an effort to drown out the sounds of teenagers and their cars every night as I try to sleep, I usually put in a movie. I always see the beginning of the movie, rarely see the end. But the movie is usually just enough noise to mask the sounds from outside without keeping me awake. My very own 'sound machine.'

Last night as I was getting ready for bed, I couldn't get the little TV to come on. I tried several things to figure out what the problem was. Unplugging it from the power strip and plugging it directly into the wall. Ensuring that the power cord hadn't come loose from the back of the TV. I even checked to see if the on/off button was no longer working by trying to access the TV using the remote. But no, nothing. Emerson would not talk to me. (I know its name is Emerson because that's what it says right across the front under the TV screen.)

Even Jeff came in to play with the one little cord that comes out of Emerson's body, to see if there was a short or something. But still, no talking, no picture.

It's possible that Emerson is just old and died. I mean, I probably got it seven years ago and it's been moved around and probably had game system controllers thrown at it regularly. But there was no warning of imminent death. Tuesday night, I watched "The Shawshank Redemption" until I fell asleep. Wednesday night, nothing.

Lucky for me, I still slept well. I hope that continues.

Unfortunately, Emerson has to move out to the garage. It's just wasting space and is a constant tease sitting right there at the end of my bed like that. RIP Emerson. You served well.


No comments: